 |
| The underbelly of the Colosseum |
Unfortunately I only got to spend 1 full day and two half days in Rome,
so I don't have a whole lot to say about the city except that it's absolutely beautiful and a whole lot of fun. I had a wonderful time just "rome-ing" (hahahaha!)
through the streets, but my favorite part had to be seeing the ruins of
ancient Rome, The Colosseum left me in awe, thanks to all the documentaries and historical fiction I've been watching, and I had a great time building up the dilapidated stage in my mind.
After the Colosseum I managed to make my way to the Roman Forum, the Parthenon, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Vatican, and all the twisty-turny-alleys in between. I literally walked around the city from 7am, until 11:30 pm, and I have the broken feet to prove it! Every once in a while I stopped for food (poor me) and got all the stereotypical Italian goodies out of the way, including but not limited to: Gniocchi, Bruschetta, Pizza, and of course lots of good wine. It wouldn't be a vacation without a little indulgence, so every few hours (and no I'm not exaggerating) I had some fantastic gelato.The food was of course delicious, but still doesn't hold a candle to France ;)
Here's a collection of photos that I took on my trip,
and brief explanations to go along with them. Enjoy!
 |
| My delicious dinner of buffalo cheese bruschetta, and of course a glass of wine to accompany it. |
 |
| A cool view of the river during summertime - tons of tents selling trinkets, or makeshift restaurants and bars. |
 |
| My riverside table, where I sat just relaxing, having a drink, and watching the world go by :) |
 |
| A monument to Emanuele II - a past and honored king. |
 |
| Yaaa!! Made it to the Colosseum! :D My favorite moment of the trip!! |
 |
| Another view without my big fat head in the way. The stage is now gone (you can see a bit of a wooden recreation at the top) What you can see at the bottom is the underbelly of the arena. This is where the animals, and humans, which were meant to fight were kept... so eerie!!! |
 |
| The Arch of Titus. The entry way into the Roman Forum - it was pretty cool to imagine past emperors, conquerors, kings and queens walking through this arch into the forum in a huge procession celebrating their victories... Then walking the same path! *nerd moment* |
 |
| An old temple where the hearth of Rome was kept burning day and night |
 |
| The coolest column in Rome, inside the Parthenon |
 |
| The Parthenon |
 |
| Trevi Fountain |
 |
| A better shot, minus the construction :P |
 |
| Spanish Steps |
 |
| One of the five million alleys I meandered through. |
 |
| The outside of the Colosseum |
'Till next time ^_^ ~