 |
| John clearly having a blast |
 |
| Cheeese! |
So far so good. We made it to Flagstaff safe and sound. Our first drive was straight from Redlands to the Grand Canyon, where we spent about an hour walking around the south rim. Holy Moly is that thing huge! You know, you see it in movies, on TV, and in pictures all the time, but it's not until you get right to the ledge that you really appreciate the immensity of the thing. I mean seriously... giant! We then drove down to flagstaff, and are staying with a really nice guy named Mark, a meteorologist for the national weather service. He's been really helpful letting us know the best ways to get around, and what to see/do around the area - so thanks couchsurfers.org!
 |
| Us floating down the Colorado River |
Day two was spent up in Page, AZ at the Glen Canyon Dam. We took a 4 hour float trip along the Colorado river, which was interesting, relaxing, and entertaining all at the same time. We started at the base of the dam, and headed all the way down until the mouth of the Grand Canyon. It was pretty cool to see all the wildlife (a lot of birds, including ducks, osprey, ravens, hawks, etc. As well as a big horn sheep!) in their natural habitat, as well as the awesome rock formations. Did you know some of those rocks are 180,000,000 years old?! And those are the baby ones, the oldest ones in this part of the canyon are 2 billion years old! Nuts. I really enjoyed myself there, and believe it or not, so did John.
So far we're having a great time, meeting lots of cool people, and just relaxin' on the road. The only problem I've had so far, is that I really miss my poodle... woe is me... Tomorrow we head to Boulder, Colorado to visit one of John's friends. I'll post some more news when I can, but for now, good night!
Here are some more pics.
 |
A terrible photo taken by a not so friendly lady...
|
 |
The Glen Canyon Dam
|
 |
| The "Little Niagara" which flows into the Colorado at the same volume every day throughout the year |
 |
| A tiny walk to see some wall carving |
 |
| Some wall carvings left by ancient Anasazi tribes |
 |
| Can you see the happy face?! |
 |
| So our bus actually broke down on the way back from the boat tour, so I had some time to take photos on the side of the road... hehehe |
 |
| Bye Arizona, you've been great! |