Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kids say the darndest things...

(first published on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 2:16am)


So here are a couple funny things my students have said. I'm sure there will be much more to come.

So in one of my basic classes we were studying phone numbers, and how to pronounce them clearly, and one of my students raised his hand. Our conversation went like this:
"TEA-cher, me... cell-pone... no..."
"That's ok, you don't need to have a cell phone to practice."
"TEEA-cher!.... Cell-pone... NO!"
"I know you don't have a cell phone.. just read the numbers on the paper"
"NO! TEEE-cher! I no cell-pone!"
"Ok... do you know your Mom's cell phone number?"
"Yes!"
"Ok, say that"
"OK!!!!"
He then got the biggest smile on his face as he recited his Mom's number. At no point in the lesson did I ask for anyone to say their own number, we were just practicing reading the numbers from a list. He was just so insistent that I know he didn't have a cell phone! Funny kid.



In this class we were talking about food. One kid's hand shot up in the air and tried in earnest to ask a complicated question:

"TEA-cher.... Pig meat....... pork......... Cow meat..... beef....... People meat..... ________?"

At this point I just laughed really hard.



In one of my higher level classes we were talking about family. I asked each student to describe the members of their family. One of my favorite students said:

"My mother is very nice and beautiful and she makes delicious food. My father is mean when I don't do my homework. My little brother...*pause* .... *Big sigh*.... is a psychopath..."



9/17/09

There is a parent teacher conference going on today, so we were supposed to dress formally. Normally we just wear jeans and a nice top, but today we wore dress pants and nice shoes etc. One of the younger-kid classes asked their teacher:

"teacher teacher! Stephanie and John look so beautiful today... did they get married or something?"

Hahahahaha...